Trying to be faithful to Thursday Thirteen, I came up with my all time top songs that evokes tears - not mine, but those of women and lesser men. ;)
13. Old Shep - Elvis Presley. This song gets to me as a dog lover. It would be closer to the top of the list, but not everyone is an animal lover.
12. You Don't Bring Me Flowers - Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand. Nothing sadder than a broken marriage, except maybe DEATH!
11. Love Bites - Def Leppard. You can feel it in his voice.
10. Save Me - Queen. The music and the emotion in this song will reach you.
9. The Walk - Sawyer Brown. It is a story of parenting and love. If you have an aging parent, it will get you.
8. Still - The Commodores. Reflecting on a lost love.
7. Anything That's Part Of You - Elvis Presley. Again with the lost love.
6. Diary - Bread. This is not love lost; it is dreams of love dashed.
5. Goodbye To Love - The Carpenters. This may be the last one on the list that deals with lost love.
4. Held - Natalie Grant. Death of a young one. The lyrics are excruciating yet hopeful.
3. Honey - Bobby Goldsboro. This was the first song that I remember ever hearing that caused me to be sad.
2. The Baby - Blake Shelton. Because of my mother's health, I can't even listen to this song.
AND THE NUMBER ONE TEAR JERKER SONG OF ALL TIME . . .
1. He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones. This song has it all. Death, lost love, and hopelessness.
Most of these songs deal with lost love. I think this theme is more prevalent than even losing someone to death, because most people believe love is the sustainer of life. Living without love, to most, is worse than not living at all.
If you haven't heard of some of these songs, I would ask you to look them up. Just don't listen to them all in one sitting or someone might have to write a sad song about you tomorrow.